We added lemons and currants to the muffins we ate for brunch in the Finger Lakes. However, this base recipe also works well with very ripe bananas and nuts, fresh fruit, or whatever else you have on hand.
- 2 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/3 cup raw millet
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup barely melted unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup honey
- grated zest and 2 tablespoons juice from 1 lemon
- handful of dried currants
Preheat oven to 400°F. Whisk all dry ingredients together. In a separate bowl, combine all wet ingredients. Add wet to dry in batches and stir till just incorporated. Fill muffin tins a bit below the rim.
Bake 15 minutes or until the tops are a bit browned. Let cool for 5 minutes in the pan then turn them out on to a rack to cool completely.