The trick to this lacquered, crispy granola we ate for breakfast in Anderson Valley is baking it low and slow—to dry it and toast it without burning it. Stir the granola often during baking so it cooks evenly.
In a big bowl, mix together:
- 375 grams rolled oats
- 400 grams raw nuts and seeds (i like crushed almonds, pistachios, walnuts and pumpkin seeds)
In another bowl, combine:
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
Drizzle oil/syrup over the oats and nut mixture, mix in:
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (adjust to your preference or leave it out all together)
- 1 1/4 teaspoon of chunky, coarse salt (or 1 tsp fine salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground cinnamon and ground coriander
Bake on parchment-lined baking sheets in a 300°F oven for 35-45 minutes, stirring often, until evenly browned. Remove from oven and stir occasionally while cooling.